Baumit External Wall Insulation Systems Fire Safety Statement
Like the rest of the construction industry and nation as a whole, at Baumit we were extremely shocked and saddened at the events that unfolded at Grenfell Tower on June 14th. Our thoughts remain with those who have been affected by the tragedy.
There are very few known facts about the cause of the fire and the materials used in the refurbishment of the façade. Therefore, it is important we resist speculation and await the findings of any official investigation in due course.
However, at this time we feel it is appropriate to offer some reassurance to our customers and clients about the performance and safety of our systems.
1. Our systems use a variety of insulation materials either bonded or mechanically fixed to the existing façade for the purposes of refurbishment
2. This type of External Wall Insulation (EWI) system does not incorporate a ventilated cavity which has been known to cause the so called ‘chimney effect’
3. We promote the use of EWI systems which use either Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) or Mineral Wool Insulation
4. The reaction of insulation used within render systems in the event of fire is tested under the BS EN 13501-1 standard
5. Our systems have also been tested under standard BS 476 Part 6 & 7 which assess how easily fire would spread across the surface of the system.
6. Our system achieved Class 0, the highest possible standard as defined by the requirements defined in paragraph A13b of the Approved Document B, ‘Fire Safety’ of the building regulations.
We hope this information proves useful in providing our customers and clients with the necessary peace of mind in the wake of this tragedy. Should you require any further information, guidance or reassurance, please feel free to contact us.
Our thoughts, once again, remain with those who lost lives or were in some way affected by this terrible incident.
Ben Warren, Managing Director at Baumit Ltd
A downloadable version of this statement can be found here.